A Guide for Attracting More YouTube Subscribers
YouTube is one of the most popular platforms on the internet. If your company is not using YouTube in your overall online marketing strategy, you are missing out on a big opportunity. However, growing a channel can be a bit intimidating and time-consuming. You can spend a lot of money on professionally produced videos and receive very few views. What could you possibly be doing wrong?
Just like on a Facebook business page, a Twitter profile, or any other social channel, a subscriber is someone who chooses to "follow" you. So, the two main ways of attracting YouTube subscribers is through consistency and quality. Producing a promotional video 2 or 3 times a year will not attract substantial numbers of viewers or subscribers. Even if it is just once a month, consistency will produce results over time.
Additionally, quality is not completely defined by production value, the technical and stylistic merits of the video. There are many YouTubers who have built very large audiences based solely on their personality and quality of the information they present. While you do want to create the best quality videos your budget can afford, quality information and an authentic personality will win every time.
That said, building up a strong subscriber base with large numbers of views and targeted traffic will take some additional effort.
Ways to Attract YouTube Subscribers
1. Design Great Thumbnails - While YouTube will create a thumbnail from your video, the better option is to create a unique thumbnail that will catch people's attention. Additionally, all your thumbnails should have one consistent element, such as your logo, so that users can easily differentiate your videos from others within search results and recommendations.
2. Ask For Subscribers - We all know the old adage, you won't get what you don't ask for. Include a call to action in your videos asking people to subscribe. Add a simple statement such as "To stay up to date with our latest videos, make sure to click the subscribe button and ring the bell icon." Never assume that the viewer knows what action to take.
3. Add a Custom Subscribe Button - YouTube allows you to add a branded watermark across all your videos, which also serves as a link for viewers to subscribe. Go to your Creator Studio, then select Channel and Branding. Click the "Add a watermark" and follow the onscreen instructions. Make sure to use a transparent background for the best effect.
4. Keep Videos Short and Effective - You want people to watch the whole video. YouTube's algorithm uses watch time and view duration when evaluating a video's popularity. So, if users are not getting through your videos, it can negatively impact you being listed in search results and recommended videos. Very few people are going to watch a 30-minute presentation.
5. Add End Screen Elements - YouTube enables you to add elements to your end screen, such as a subscribe button and promoting other videos. These can be added to the last 5 to 20 seconds of the video. However, they work best when you have an "end card" at the end of your video, which then encourages viewers to take action.
6. Promote Your Videos on Other Platforms - Another simple but often overlooked method for reaching and adding more subscribers is sharing your videos on across multiple social media channels. An especially effective technique is becoming a member of a Facebook or LinkedIn group. You can find a group for almost every interest and topics.
What haven't we covered yet that is important to you? If you would like more information on attracting YouTube subscribers, or would like to discuss a related topic, please contact us.